Thursday 22 November 2012

Project 32: a variety of images

Recently, whilst on a visit to the Cairngorm Mountains in Scotland, I took the opportunity to enjoy a walk above the Uath Lochans in Glen Feshie.  I was able to take a wide angle view from the ridge above the lochans and then zoomed in to take a series of telephoto shots from the same location.  In some I included the sky and in others not.  Some are portrait, others landscape format.
A wide angle view of the lochans and the Caringorm Mountains beyond.

Here I zoomed into the right hand lochan to show the reflections.  I took more reflection shots when I returned to the lochans.  They were amazing,

Telephoto view of the left hand lake.

A vertical shot concentrating on the nearby ancient Caledonian pines.

Another vertical shot.

A horizontal telephoto, this time including some sky.



On returning to the valley I enjoyed photographing the wonderful reflections in the lochans.
Reflection in Uath Lochan

Another reflection
What have I learned.
I have a tendency when photographing landscapes to use a wide angle with something near in the foreground and everything sharp from front to back.  I generally use a tripod and small aperture to achieve this.  I need to remember to use a telephoto from timeto time to look at more intimate detail in landscapes in the same way that both Eliot Porter and Ansel Adams did..  Both vertical and horizontal formats should be explored and the sky need not be included.

No comments:

Post a Comment