Thursday 1 November 2012

Project 30: wide-angle views- near and far

When photographing landscapes, I think that I probable use my 17-85 zoom lens at wide angle more often than not.  It is certainly my favoured style of photography.  Often vertical format and everything sharp from front to back.  I include here a range of images taken over the last few months on trips to Debyshire, North Yorkshire and Scotland to visit our son. Mainly I used the 17mm at f22 but one or two were taken with my canon G10 at 10.7mm f8.  By and large a tripod was used on each occasion.  I have included a mix of horizontal and vertical format.


A spring shot looking over the Hope Valley of Derbyshire towards Bamford Edge on the skyline.


Bamford Edge.


Here the wall leads the eye towards a dramatic sky.

Robin Hood's Bay, North Yorkshire.  I took this image for Assigment 3 on a theme of water.  I was wanting to illustrate relections in the water but framed the shot so the the rocks in the foreground and the rock pool lead the eye towards the headland of Ravenscar on the skyline.

An image taken on the same September day as the last looking down on Bay Town, Robin Hood's Bay.  I have taken many images of this view over the years.  The grasses in the foreground are sharp right through to the cliffs in the distance.

Another view looking out over Robin Hood's Bay with everything sharp, back to front.

Robin Hood's Bay again earlier this year.  I liked the reflection in the rock pool giving perspective to the image.  Again sharp front to back. I used the G10 here at 10.7mm and f8.

Scotland, this time on a trip to visit our son.  This time on the coast of the Firth of Forth looking towards Arthur's Seat in the far distance.

Another Scottish view, this time in the Highlands.  I used the old boat in the foreground to provide perspective in this view down Loch Ewe looking towards the Torridonian Mountains.
What have I learned.  Using a very wide angle lens and small aperture and often a low viepoint with something close in the foreground is an excellent way of showing perspective.  Lines can often be found to lead the eye into the frame.  A tripod is necessary for this type of shot as slow shutter speeds are often required to enable the use of f22 to provide the required depth of field.
In view of the large numbers of images I have had to choose from taken over the last few weeks and months, I may have a tendency to over use this style of photography, although, looking ahead to section 5 of the course, maybe this is my style.  Maybe this is why I am attracted to the likes of Ansell Adams.  Perhaps it would be good for me to leave my 17-85 lens at home from time to time and work solely with my 100-400 lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment