Thursday 1 November 2012

Project 31: telephoto views-compressing planes

I rarely use a telephoto lens for landscape photography, so it was refreshing, whilst up in North Yorkshire this last weekend to explore opportunities for it's use.  I found fewer opportunities for  including a distant range of hills or ridges so I need to look for the chance more often.
I liked the shape and autumn oclours of this oak tree growing next to, but slightly apart from the wood on the left.  The focal length of 135mm has compressed the ridges in the fields and emphasised the crop lines.

The track here makes a good lead line towards the barn.  I liked its s-shape curve.  The longer focal length of 115mm has compressed the distance between the track bend and the barn.  Using the longer lens has empahasised the atmospheric haze in the distance.

Here I have included too much out of focus foreground.  The long lens has compressed the distance between the ridges.  210mm.

The same oak tree but from a slightly different angle.  A focal length of 105mm has compressed the distance between the tree and the wood.

I used 100mm here to focus on the autumn colour.

The focal length of 150mm has compressed the undulations in the track to make them appear closer together.

A 100mm focal length here has again compressed the undulations and the vertical format has perhaps emphasised this.

I placed this oak tree on the intersection of thirds.  The 100mm focal length has compressed the undulations in the field and emphasised the crop lines.  More emphahsis has been placed on the tree than would have been possible with a wider angle lens.

I took this shot at from Whitby west pier a couple of years ago.  The 400mm focal length has compressed the headlands.  It has also emphasised the haze from the sea sparay and made the image rather cool.
What have I learned? Telephoto lenses are excellent at picking out detail in the landscape that would be lost with a wide angle view.  It also allows a great deal of options from one location.  The compression of distance often gives a pleasing effect.  I need to look for more telephoto opportunities.  I think that one reason I don't use one often is that I only have the canon 100-400 which is a heavy beast to carry around.  Whilst the 100-400 is an excellent lens, I sometimes think of buying a lighter weight 100-200 to keep in my bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment