Monday 20 February 2012

Project 8: using perspective to help composition

Since enrolling on the Landscape module I have been busy capturing images both to fulfil the projects but also potentially to use for assignment 1 as I want to ensure that I have a full coverage of winter. Lincolnshire lends itself well to the use of linear perspective with its hedges, fences, lines of trees, crop lines and drains along the coastal marsh. I have used the two examples below to illustrate this project.
In this image of Saltfeet Haven, about half an hour's drive away, I have framed the haven to travel diagonally through the image giving depth through linear perspective. I moved in close to the moored boats, partly to give foreground interest and to make the most of their reflections in the still water, but also to increase the sense of depth through diminishing perspective as they appear to grow smaller as we move into the image.
Here both linear perspective ( the diagonal line of the hedge and the tractor tracks disappearing into the frame) and diminishing perspective (the line of trees becoming smaller) give a sense of depth to the image.

I have tended to use wider angle lenses in much of my recent work and this enhances the perspective effect. I have fewer if any recent examples of other examples of perspective: aerial, tonal, and colour and will look out for opportunities to capture these as I move through the course.

Although my aim during this course will be to take images specifically for the projects and assignments, it can often be a case of being in the right place at the right time. Three years ago I was fortunate to be able to visit the Italian dolomites and Lake Garda. whilst there I took the two images below and, remembering them, thought that I could use them to illustrate aerial perspective. Both images were taken towards the end of the day under hazy conditions and succeeding ridges of hills become more misty and less clear giving a feeling of depth and muted colours to the scenes. I remember being pleased with them at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment