Monday 18 March 2013

Project 15: planning your portfolio; the final cut.


I have photographed a few locations for Project 15 but settled on this location of Moggs Hollow on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds.  It was a toss up between one of my other locations.  Both had good winter conditions but the other had a fabulous display of oilseed rape for the spring picture.  In the end though I felt that Moggs Hollow came out on top for the summer and autumn shots.  My other location had an ash tree in the foreground which resolutely refused to change colour and did, in fact, lose its leaves one windy night whilst still green.  I found it a surprising challenge to get the framing spot on for every shot but feel that I have made a reasonable job with these four images.

Winter
Early in the morning after one of the February snow falls from 2012 I went out into the Lincolnshire Wolds a short distance from home to take snow pictures for project 25 and also hoping to secure winter images for  assignment 1. I selected this shot as I felt that it had a cold wintry feel to it, especially as there is a grey rather than a clear blue sky. I framed the shot so that the hedge began in the bottom right and then snaked in a pleasing s-shape, hopefully leading the eye into the shot to the wood and distant hill on the horizon. The hedge also provides good perspective.
Spring
After assignment 1 I thought that this would be a good location for Project 15.  I knew that no vegetation would grow up that would obstruct the view.  I took this spring picture at 6.00 am one May morning when I knew there would be good side lighting.  I checked the winter shot on my Iphone to ensure that I had the same framing using the bare ash tree branch and the hedge to the right of the shot to orientate it. I think there is a huge difference between the winter shot and this one.  The hawthorn or May blossom and the fresh green of the crop indicate that this is spring.
Summer
Another early morning shot; this time 4.47 am in order to catch the golden hour and have good side lighting.  I haven't managed the framing quite as well as I would have liked with there being a slight gap between the tip of the bare ash branch and the edge of the frame.  I like the light on the ash tree, however, and the height of the broad bean crop and the poppy at the edge of the beans differentiate it from the spring shot.  I find summer a difficult season to represent.  Unless summer flowers are used it tends to be just green!
Autumn
Another early morning shot taken in October.  Gone is the summer broad been crop and the field has been resown.  Although the ash tree remains resolutely green, the hawthorn hedge has taken on the rich warm colours of autumn, enhanced by the golden early morning light.  The red hawthorn berries also indicate that this is autumn.  I am relatively pleased with the framing but again there is a slight gap between the tip of the bare branch and the edge of the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment