Saturday 16 March 2013

Final Portfolio

Ever since the first assignment in this module I have been looking for opportunities for and taking photographs representing each of the seasons for my final portfolio.  During this time I have gathered together an incredibly large collection of images from which to choose.  In order to help with the editing I decided to look for images based on a theme.  For Project 28 we had to portray Intimate Landscapes inspired by the work of Eliot Porter.  My research into Ansel Adams for assignments 4 and 5 revealed that Adams also liked to take Intimate Landscapes.  With this in mind I decided to make Intimate Landscapes the theme for this final portfolio.  Previous blogs show many of the images I have been considering and so here I include my final selection.

As this is the culmination of 15 months work I have also decided to print these photographs at A3+.

Winter


This was a photograph taken last winter (February 2012) for Assignment 1.  I chose it then, and now, as the strong side lighting gave texture to the snow, emphasising its banked nature.  I also liked the dark brooding sky.  As suggested by my tutor I have cropped it  a little and warmed it slightly to make it less blue.
This is another picture from Assignment 1.  One morning  in February 2012 whilst we had snow, we also woke to thick fog.  Thinking that this would provide more and different winter pictures, I visited a local wooded parkland.  I had photographed this scene a few weeks previously but, although in the middle of winter, the bright late afternoon light and leaves still clinging to the beech trees didn't provide a wintry enough atmosphere.  This morning was different, however, snow and fog providing the missing ingredients.  I chose this particular avenue of trees as I felt that, as they disappeared down the hill, they provided perspective despite the fog.  I think the fact that we cannot see the far distance lends a sense of mystery.

I took this photograph in January this year whilst at a favourite bird photography location.  The weather was bitterly cold.  I was attracted to this old sluice and the fencing either side of it as well as the dead reeds in the drain.  I like the way that the drain leads the eye into the picture and provides perspective. There is really something special about this spot on a bleak winter's day.  On 18th January it was grey and still with the first flakes of snow swirling down from the sky.  The land was covered with a blanket of old snow with the longer, dead grasses and umbellifers poking through.  Flooded areas and most drains were frozen but I could hear the gentle trickle of a cleared drain still running.  Every so often a barn or short eared owl flew moth like as it hunted over the carrs.  Magical.

Spring
Snowdrops are always the very first sign of Spring and I felt that I had to include a shot of some.  It was taken early last year in our local churchyard.
Spring is a time for woodland flowers before the leaf cover of summer shuts out the light.  I took this shot in  a wood on the outskirts of Grimsby.  Every year there is a wonderful display of wood anemones.  I took several versions of this picture and, in fact returned for a second visit as I wanted to take this one which excluded the sky and made it mor intimate.
A wood in spring is a magical place and primroses an iconic spring flower.  I chose a wide angle and a very low point of view for this shot to make the primroses the main focus whilst at the same time including the woodland habitat.  I excluded most of the sky to keep it an intimate landscape.  I like the way the path leads the eye into the picture and provides perspective.
Summer
I have always loved ox-eye daisies and love to see great drifts of them waving in a gentle summer breeze.  I took this shot last June at a local nature reserve.  I was there photographing broad bodied chaser dragonflies and was privileged to watch and photograph one of the most wonderful wildlife spectacles I have ever seen (see other photography 03 in the blog).  The pond was just behind me when I took the shot and the daisies were the icing on the cake.  I had been looking for a scene such as this for some time.
To me summer means poppies.  I found this field late one summer evening when I had been out photographing (or trying to) hares.  I hadn't planned on any landscape photography and so only had my 500 and 100-400 lenses with me.  I couldn't pass this opportunity up, however, and made the picture with the 100-400.  I made the most of the lens's potential for differential focusing and selected a wide aperture to isolate this one bloom with a sea of red behind it.
A scene we see very little of these days.  These are a collection of old fashioned cornfield weeds which have more or less been eradicated by modern agricultural methods.  It seems to be a fashion nowadays, though, to plant these artificially, a trend that I wholeheartedly endorse.  I notice this winter that a wide local grass verge in Grimsby has been scarified and I am hoping that we shall have a colourful display this summer.  If si I shall be there. 
Autumn
I love autumn.  There seem to be so many opportunities for landscape a photography   This shot of autumn beeches was taken in a local woodland last November.

Not a morning most people would single out for photography.  It was grey misty day but very still.  I saw this pond and the reflection when driving out into the Lincolnshire Wolds for a day walking.  I returned later in the day for another look but a breeze had set up and the reflection had gone.

A wonderfully mist early autumn morning in a glorious stretch of parkland.
Project 15
I have photographed a few locations for Project 15 but settled on this location of Moggs Hollow on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds.  It was a toss up between one of my other locations.  Both had good winter conditions but the other had a fabulous display of oilseed rape for the spring picture.  In the end though I felt that Moggs Hollow came out on top for the summer and autumn shots.  My other location had an ash tree in the foreground which resolutely refused to change colour and did, in fact, lose its leaves one windy night whilst still green.  I found it a surprising challenge to get the framing spot on for every shot but feel that I have made a reasonable job with these four images.

Winter
Early in the morning after one of the February snow falls from 2012 I went out into the Lincolnshire Wolds a short distance from home to take snow pictures for project 25 and also hoping to secure winter images for  assignment 1. I selected this shot as I felt that it had a cold wintry feel to it especially as there is a grey rather than a clear blue sky. I framed the shot so that the hedge began in the bottom right and then snaked in a pleasing s-shape, hopefully leading the eye into the shot to the wood and distant hill on the horizon. The hedge also provides good perspective.
Spring
After assignment 1 I thought that this would be a good location for Project 15.  I knew that no vegetation would grow up that would obstruct the view.  I took this spring picture at 6.00 am one May morning when I knew there would be good side lighting.  I checked the winter shot on my Iphone to ensure that I had the same framing using the bare ash tree branch and the hedge to the right of the shot to orientate it. I think there is a huge difference between the winter shot and this one.  The hawthorn or May blossom and the fresh green of the crop indicate that this is spring.
Summer
Another early morning shot; this time 4.47 am in order to catch the golden hour and have good side lighting.  I haven't managed the framing quite as well as I would have liked with there being a slight gap between the tip of the bare ash branch and the edge of the frame.  I like the light on the ash tree, however, and the height of the broad bean crop and the poppy at the edge of the beans differentiate it from the spring shot.  I find summer a difficult season to represent.  Unless summer flowers are used it tends to be just green!
Autumn
Another early morning shot taken in October.  Gone is the summer broad been crop and the field has been resown.  Although the ash tree remains resolutely green, the hawthorn hedge has taken on the rich warm colours of autumn, enhanced by the golden early morning light.  The red hawthorn berries also indicate that this is autumn.  I am relatively pleased with the framing but again there is a slight gap between the tip of the bare branch and the edge of the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment