Wednesday 13 February 2013

Assignment 5: in the style of an influential photographer

Last week I was able to spend a few days in North Wales enjoying some hill walking.  I used the opportunity to look for some more images in the style of Ansel Adams for assignment 5.  I was particularly looking for waterfalls and rapids to capture some fast shutter speed shots in order to 'Freeze Motion in Time' as Adams liked to do.  I was also looking for wider landscapes that were sharp throughout.  I include them below:

I took this shot on the Watkin Path up Snowdon.  The waterfall was impressive as the river was full with flood and meltwater.  I framed the image so that the upper part of the fall led the eye up to the south ridge of Snowdon in the background and also down to the boiling water in the foreground.  As Adams did I exposed for the water to ensure that I retained as much detail as possible.  I used a shutter speed of 1/640 sec in order to freeze the water and an aperture of f8 to keep everything reasonably sharp.

This is another, smaller, fall taken from the Watkin Path.  I included the foreground boulder to add depth to the image.  A fast shutter speed of 1/400 sec was used to freeze the water and an aperture of f8 to keep everything sharp.

This is a shot of the lower falls of the Aber Falls on the northern edge of the Carneddau Mountains of Snowdonia.  I chose to pick out the lower part of the falls to include as much water as possible.  I measured the exposure form the water to retain detail in the highlights.  I had to use a shutter speed of 1/3200 sec in order to freeze the motion of the water.
In all of these above photographs I wanted to convey the 'joyous outpouring of emotion' that Ansel Adams felt when he photographed Waterwheel Falls, Yosemite C1948.

I photographed this tree whilst walking up Moel Siabod in Snowdonia.  I thought that it particularly suited Black and White.  I used an aperture of f11 to keep everything sharp.

Another picture, of old quarry buildings, taken on the way up Moel Siabod that I thought suited a Black and White approach.  I felt that it could be included here as Adam's enjoyed photographing old buildings. I used an aperture of f16 to keep everything sharp.

1 comment:

  1. Like the images Mike, you are certainly hardier than me! Ansel Adams was also a member of the f64 group if I remember correctly, you've mentioned keeping everything sharp in your post above - any plans for shooting at the tiny apertures Adams did?
    All the best
    Dave

    ReplyDelete