Thursday 4 October 2012

Project 20: sun stars and diffraction

Although I still need to do some more work on this project (tomorrow at Spurn Point, hopefully), earlier this year I did capture the following images whilst on a visit to a local woodland in order to photograph wood anemones.

I was attracted to the simplicity of the trees  and decided to take some shots.  Some were more successful than others.  All images were taken at 17mm and f16.

Here I have shot into the sun but managed to hide it behind the tree.  Whilst the trees are in silhouette, the grass has a reasonable exposure.

Here there is too much sun showing and it has produced unpleasant flaring.

This is a much more pleasing shot.  The sun is slightly more hidden and an excellent sun star has been produced.  There is still a flare in the foreground but I don't findf it too obrusive and it could anyway be removed in post processing.

This is more or less the same shot as the first but here I have revealed slightly more of the sun so producing a sun star.  It is smaller than in the shot above but there is no flare.


What have I learned from this exercise.  Although I still need to do some work on the project I have found that pleasing images can be made whilst shooting into the sun.  I am often at loggerheads with my wife on this subject as she prefers against the light shots while I tend to go for side lighting and richer colours unless I am shooting a sunset or sunrise.  It is necessary to ensure that just the correct amount of sun is revealed to produce a sun star whilst at the same time avoiding flare.

No comments:

Post a Comment