Thursday 25 October 2012

Photographing the Red Deer Rut.

For some years I have wanted to photograph red deer during the autumn rutting season.  This year along with two friends I visited Studley Royal in Yorkshire and Bradgate Park near Leicester, both excellent locations.  In all of the following shots I used a 500mm lens on a tripod.

We were fortunate enough to witness this stag involved in a very physical fight with a rival for hinds.  Here he is resting, exhausted, in a mud wallow.  The steam is from his breath and body.

Red deer stag proclaiming his territory.

I liked the wonderful autumn colours behind this animal.

A magnificent stag proclaims ownership of his stags.  Wonderful autumn colours behind.  I am toying with using this image as part of my autumn portfolio but not sure if it is too much wildlife and not enough autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment