Tuesday 3 September 2013

Assignment 5: in the style of an influential photographer, Ansel Adams; response to tutor's comments.

I was pleased with my tutor's comments to this assignment; it was felt that I had produced a good series of pictures in the style of Ansel Adams.  There were suggestions for making slight  improvements to six of the twelve images and he felt that one didn't work.  I have worked on the images to implement the suggested changes, reprinted them and include them in my final submission for assessment.  On problem I encountered when working on this was printing the images with the same tones as the originals.  I made the fatal error of not recording the advanced black and white settings that I used on my Epson R2880 printer; a mistake I shall not make again!!!  I have tried to be subtle with my changes and perhaps in one or two instances have not altered them much, but I didn't want to produce totally different images.


  1. Winter conditions on Derwent Edge.  In my original image there was some white clipping in the foreground ice but it was felt that I had darkened this too much in order to recover the blown highlights.  I have gone back to Lightroom and readjusted this.  I feel that the change is very subtle.  I also lightened the shadows a little to show a little more detail in the gritstone pillar.
  2. Winter on Worlaby Carrs.  It was felt that I could apply a low-density ND grad on the foreground and then lighten the whole image slightly to help draw the eye into the picture towards the horizon.  This I have done.
  3. Earl Crag, Upper Airedale.  As suggested I have lightened the image slightly and also increased the shadows slider.  I always find that if I increase the shadows slider I need a slight increase in contrast so I have done this as well.
  4. Lincolnshire Wolds from Bonby Carrs.  I have lightened the image slightly as suggested.
  5. Tetney Marshes.  It was felt that I had not included enough foreground in this image.  As I had cropped the original to make more of the dramatic clouds I went back to the original and reframed it.  I have also lightened it somewhat as well.
  6. Barn and Sky, Lincolnshire Wolds.  Again I have lightened the image as suggested.
  7. Wall detail, Derbyshire.  As suggested I have cropped the image to make more of the lichens in the wall.  I have also lightened it somewhat.
  8. It was suggested that I could use the image Silver Birch as a replacement image.  I have printed this shot as a possible replacement for Tetney Marshes or Wall Detail.
I have learned a great deal through this assignment.  It has been interesting to try to 'see in monochrome' and also to try and get under the skin of another photographer and work in their style.  Not only this but I have gained experience in producing a black and white image in post production and grappled with the added complications of manipulating printer software to achieve the desired result.

No comments:

Post a Comment