Wednesday 30 January 2013

Project 39: printing a back lit subject

Although this project is optional and designed for the printing of a black and white negative, I decided to try it digitally.  I used the colour image below as a starting point.  I took the shot in December 2012 whilst out walking in Derbyshire and produced the accompanying Black and White image in Lightroom.

This is my original starting image with bright highlights in the sun and on the ice on the path in the foreground.

First I converted the picture to Black and White.  I next used an ND grad to reduce the exposure in the sky by 1.5 and also reduced the highlights further.  I also slightly increased the contrast and the clarity.  I then used the adjustment brush to reduce the exposure on the ice on the path in the foreground.  Finally I adjusted the sliders in the Black and White mix until I achieved a result that I was happy with.
What Have I Learned?
I find that I am slowly gaining expertise in producing Black and White Images through using post processing software.

No comments:

Post a Comment