Monday 30 January 2012

Project 2: horizontal vs vertical

Personally I think that both landscape and protrait formats work. In fact I find many situations when I prefer portraits shots. The work well when rivers or marshlad drains lead into an image, with trees and towers and even with fences and roads leading into a picture.



Here I think that I prefer the landscape format as it gives more space for the tree to 'breathe'. The receding storm clouds save the sky from being bland.



Here I think that the portrait shot works better. The tree gives foreground interest and the path leads the eye into the picture. The same could be said of the landscape shot but I don't feel the crop of elephant grass adds anything to the image.











I took these two images at first light on the top of the scarp slope of the northern Lincolshire Wolds looking from above the village of Worlaby down to the valley of the river Ancholme. I think that the view perhaps suits a landscape format better but the portrait shot works because it helps to focus on Carr Lane the road running into the shot. The road leads the eye into the picture.










I took these two images of the same tree as featured in Project 1. I think that both work in their own way. The portrait imahe perhaps suits the tree more but the landscape image gives more space around the tree. In both shots I have placed the tree and the horizon on 'thirds'.

2 comments:

  1. Mike
    With the two pairs of single tree images I agree that the landscape gives the tree more space to breathe in the landscape. I did a similar thing this weekend - have a look at Framing the view differently - Series 1, images 3 and 4 on my blog. Like yours the landscape works better.
    I very much like the Lincolnshire Wold portrait image, you have captured the early morning light very well.
    I'm not sure about the path and tree images. Yes the path leads the eye into the image - but straight past the tree on the left which seems to be the main focus of interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Jeremy. Do you prefer the landscape of the path pair or neither? I will check out the images on your blog.

      Delete