Wednesday 27 June 2012

Portfolio: summer

Despite the weather we have been enjoying, or not enjoying, lately my thoughts have been turning to summer for suitable photographs for my portfolio.  Summer to me means poppies in the cereal crops, swarms of oxeye daisies in fields and on roadsides, harvest and summer days on the coast.  As I have been out and about I have been looking out for these and any other opportunities that speak of summer.  As summer progresses I shall add images to the list of possibilities below.

Poppies seem to have been harder to come by this year but at last late one evening after I been out photographing hares I came across this wonderful field out in the Wolds.
 Using my 100-400 lens I picked out one flower from the field and isolated it with differential focussing.

The same poppy but here I have changed the view point slightly.  Initial thoughts are that this is the one I prefer.

 Same flower and another slightly lower view point.
 As it was late evening I was able to position myself in such a way that the flowers were backlit providing some pleasing rim lighting.

Again backlighting used.
 This image and the next four were taken early one morning with fewer blooms so perhaps less impressive.  I am pleased though with the detail in the barley.




 This and the next images show a summer hedgerow on a local nature reserve.  Wild roses, for me are another sign of summer.

 A field of oxeye daisies and summer grasses.
 It's a pity I have clipped the top of the dead teasel head on the right.
 The next two shots are summer views of a path through a small flower meadow.

 I am a sucker for oxeye daisy and may use a close up for one of my portfolio images.  I have used a macro lens here to give differential focussing.


 This and the image below show cornflowers in amongst a field of scented mayweed.  We rarely see cornfield flowers in this age of herbicides.  The only places are where they are protected.


No comments:

Post a Comment