Friday 17 August 2012

Project 19: choosing the moment.

This project reminds me somewhat of Henri Cartier-Bresson's catching the moment, although here we are playing with the sinking or rising sun or the play of light as clouds pass over the sun. I decided to home in on this whilst taking my sunset images in Mussleburgh.

In this first image at Fisherharrow harbour I have captured the sun just as it reaches the horizon. I have captured a lovely sunstar by positioning the sun behind a stay (more by accident than judgement I have to say) but the sun is high enough to cause flare.














In this shot, still wide angle, the sun has sunk marginally to avoid flare but still interacts with the horizon to produce a sunstar.














The same image using flash. I feel that here I have 'caught the moment'















Moments later the sun has sunk below the horizon and that special 'moment' has passed.
































What have I learned:



In many cases there is just one perfect moment to press the shutter. In lots of instances seconds don't matter but often they do. The lesson learned is firstly to plan in my mind what effect and mood i want to achieve with a particular image and, ideally, press the shutter at the perfect time. Often this is not possible as things, even lighting, happens so quickly. Here technology helps in that we can use continuous shutter on the camera. The planning has to be there in the first instance but technology can help. I am reminded here of my thoughts from the Van Gogh to Kandinsky exhibition and from my tutor's comments on Assignment 2 where I realised that forward planning was essential but this needs to be tempered with fast reactions and the technology we have at our fingertips.

No comments:

Post a Comment