Thursday 10 May 2012

Portfolio: spring

Over the last few weeks I have been giving thought to and taking images for the spring section of my final portfolio have completed my first assignment: the season on winter.  The following are some of the images I am considering.
 This shot of our local church, St Giles churchyard always looks wonderful in early spring with the carpet of snowdrops. I did initially have this image as a potential submission for my first assignment but eventually decided that it was more spring than winter.  I shot from a very low position with a wide angle lens and a very small aperture to secure a maximum depth of field.

To me spring means daffodils. There was the most magnificent display on the dual carriageway leading into town but I was looking for a more natural woodland setting as here.  Again I have shot from a very low position and used a wide angle and small aperture.
Another iconic image of spring in Lincolnshire is one with lambs.  I am not sure this shot has worked though; I would have liked to see more than the rear end of the nearest lamb.
Again I am not sure that this shot has worked.  I wanted to show the lambs as part of the rural scene but I feel that they are just too low in the frame.
Another image of spring for me is a wood thickly carpeted with bluebells which I have tried to show in this picture.  I wanted some flowers dominating the frame with a haze of blue in the background.  To this end I used an aperture of f8 to ensure sharpness in the near flowers but leaving the ones further back out of focus.
Again similar to the above but I chse a foreground with the rotting log.
I am considering one or two close ups for the portfolio and this white bluebell amongst all of the blues intrigued me.
I took this picture just off the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds in a location I use for bird photography which has been very productive this spring.  I was interested in the herd of Lincoln Red cattle in this field with new spring grass showing and a field of oilseed rape in the background.  I took it with my 500 lens + 1.4 converter so the rape in the background is out of focus and I am not sure it works.  Is the rape too distracting?

Big Lincolnshire skies again with interest in the clouds.  Often the sky is either grey or too clear.  The bright green of the spring wheat and the oilseed rape flowers tell us it is spring.  The farm track lead the eye into the tree and the village in the distance.
I had seen this shot the evening before when I had been to a concert in this church so decided to return the next day.  The light was very contrasty and difficult to deal with and the church leans back so not sure it has worked.
Another icon of a Lincolnshire spring - blackthorn blossom.  The hedge and farm track lead the eye into the frame and give perspective but again I am not sure that it is strong enough.
I took this shot at a local nature reserve that I visit a lot to photograph insects especially dragonflies which it is noted for.  I had photographed this scene back in January as a candidate for Assignment 1 but didn't use it.  The feel is very different now with the green reeds appearing.  It will look different again in a few weeks time in the middle of summer.  This is a possible for Project 15.
Another shot at Messingham Sand Quarry Reserve.  I just liked the spring feel of this shot with fresh green leaves on the trees.  The path leads the eye into the frame and gives linear perspective.  Just up this path I was privileged to watch a swan's egg hatching.  Awesome.
Messingham again from the same spot as above.  I like the way the trees frame the shot and I love the reflection of the clouds in the lake.
Again spring daffodils planted on both sides of the road leading into a Wolds village.
Two shots of fields of oilseed rape, another icon of a Lincolnshire spring.  Here the farm track leads the eye into the frame underneath the lowering skies of a spring shower.
I liked the idea of these wheel marks leading the eye into the frame but the whole image looks dull and lifeless without that magic light.
A local Wolds woodland carpeted with wood anemones.  The path leads the eye into the frame encouraging us to walk along and discover what is round the corner.
Two more images with spring rape, this time featuring this old derelict gate.  I wonder how much longer the farmer will leave it in place.  I have photographed this gate on previous occasions and again it is a potential subject for Project 15.
The same gate.  My preference is for this shot as I like the intricate detail in the weathered wood and the rust red colouration of the hasp.  The rape tells us it is spring.  I am pleased with the threatening clouds in the shot.
Another bluebell shot from the Beesby Wood.  I am not as happy with this as the eralier shots.
I am pleased with this bluebell close up.  I carefully framed the shot so that the flower formed a diagonal across the frame.  Again I used f8.  This ensured that the near flower was sharp whilst the background ones were out of focus.  I used a 150mm macro lens.
Woodlands in spring are always attractive.  Here I have placed the primroses close to the viewer and used a low position with a wide angle and small aperture to achieve a good depth of field.  The woodland path leads the eye into the frame.
Two images of wood anemones in a wood very local to us.  I prefer the second shot as I think that showing the sky distracts the eye and detracts from the image.

I have photographed this church before and in fact used an image of it in my first assignment.  I wanted to show the new spring leaves on the trees with the rape fields in the Ancholme Valley beyond.  Although I like the view I was not happy with the lighting.

This is the same shot that I used in my first assignment.  Here though it is very definitely spring.  Again this is a candidate for Project 15.
The same view of Worlaby church with the rape fields in the Ancholme Valley beyond.  I wasn't happy with the lighting in the first two images so returned the next day under better conditions.  I like both of this shots but so far have no favourite.  This is a potential location for Project 13: throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment